Cartoon Reviews

Monday, September 17, 2018

Boop Oop A Doop (1932)

"You can say my voice is awful, Or my songs are too risque. Oh, but don't take my boop-oop-a-doop away!" -Betty Boop
There's no denying the appeal of the old-fashion cartoon circus setting, especially for me personally because it always makes me think of Dumbo (1941), one of my favorite Disney animated films.

In the animated short Boop Oop A Doop, originally released January 16th 1932, Betty has a job at the circus as a lion tamer and a tight rope song and dance performer. She's great at what she does and is just so funny and darling when she entertains the circus audience. Not all is peaches and cream though, as later, after Betty's performance, while backstage in her tent, the ringmaster sexually harasses Betty, groping her leg and threatening her job if she doesn't give in to his advances. This is so terrible for Betty. She pleads with the ringmaster to leave her alone by crying and singing the song "Don't Take My Boop Oop A Doop Away!" Luckily Koko the Clown is nearby to lend much appreciated aid to poor Betty.

I do like the way this film goes from cute and silly to grave and serious before ending on a lighter note. Betty is in her top Pre-Code prime here, taming lions, performing two numbers, and ends up facing a serious problem that remains all too relevant to this day.

This is considered an essential Betty Boop classic cartoon by my self as well as in general, I imagine, since it was included on Volume 2 of Betty Boop The Essential Collection on Blu-ray.

Bimbo is on hand in a comical role as an irritating peanut salesman in the audience, bothering a baby that looks like Aloysius, his baby brother from the previous film Minding The Baby (1931). Boop Oop A Doop is also noted for being the first film to feature what would become an iconic running theme-song for Betty Boop "Sweet Betty," heard over the opening title card. 

No comments:

Post a Comment