Cartoon Reviews

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Betty Boop Wine Figurine

Westland Giftware probably has some of the most detailed, and coolest, Betty Boop figurines. This wine-themed Betty figurine was a pleasant surprise. I came across it at Hasting's in a fully opaque box that was labelled "Wine A Bit Figurine," so I wasn't sure what it was going to look like, possibly some sort of Betty wine glass / figurine hybrid. It actually turned out to be a classy Betty statue holding a glass of wine, with the inscription "wine a bit, you'll feel better" (words to live by). It's white wine though, which I oddly enough happen to be allergic to. I am therefore a red-wine-all-the-way kind of person, preferably a dry Cabernet or Merlot, but I do love a good Zinfandel sometimes.

Thanks to this figurine, I couldn't help noticing that Betty's top most spit-curls almost look like devil horns, so I thought to complement the perceived devilish trait by posing Betty next to one of my Garbage Pail Kids Mystery Minis, Hot Scott (Westland Giftware actually does have a Naughty Betty Figurine with an actual devilish theme, with a spade tail and all). Now don't get me wrong, despite her status as a sex icon, I've always perceived Betty as completely innocent, but those top spit-curl horns seem awfully suggestive. In the Betty Boop cartoon Red Hot Mama (1934), Betty does take a trip through Hell, and she lights the place up with song and dance, as Betty usually does.

From Red Hot Mama (1934)
         

No comments:

Post a Comment